Have you ever wondered what to do if there’s a fire in your house? Here are some helpful tips and steps to help you if you ever encounter a fire.
1. Do not panic and call 911! The worst thing you can do is panic in a burning building as others will begin to panic too.
2. Test any close doors with the back of your hand for heat.
3. If you feel that the door handle is hot, DO NOT open the door and find another way out.
4. Get low to the ground to avoid high temperatures and smoke inhalation.
5. Choose the safest and closest exit and run to the safest place near the building.
6. DO NOT stop to find pets and DO NOT stop to collect valuables.
How to Prepare For/Prevent Fires
1. Install smoke alarms throughout your home (one in every bedroom along with outside sleeping areas).
2. Talk to family members/housemates about escape routes if a fire occurred.
3. Make sure to test your smoke alarms at least once every month. Change batteries if needed.
4. Never leave pots or pans unattended on a burning stove top.
5. Always have a fire extinguisher in an accessible area.
6. Clean excess grease from a stovetop as it can catch fire easily.
7. Check household wires for fraying and replace those that are frayed
8. DO NOT overload household circuits.
9. DO NOT pinch or cover electrical cords with items such as rugs
10. Clean chimney regularly. Dirty chimneys pose as fire hazards.
11. DO NOT put space heaters near items that could easily catch fire such as curtains. Also avoid using old space heaters.
12. Clean out dryer vent regularly and the lint filter after each load.
13. Only burn dry wood for fires. DO NOT burn damp or green wood.